If you or someone you love is suffering the effects of a serious brain injury, you may be entitled to compensation from those responsible. We care and want to help. Contact the Minneapolis brain injury lawyers of Terry, Slane & Ruohonen, PLLC at 612-TSR-TIME to learn more about your legal rights.
Because the human brain is such a vital organ, injuries to it are some of the most devastating that can occur. At best, a traumatic brain injury may lead to temporary symptoms, such as disorientation and memory loss; at worst, it may result in organ dysfunction, permanent disability, or death. A recent case we settled:
Susan, an 87 year old woman, fell in front of her senior citizen high-rise apartment due to ice on the front walkway. She fell backwards striking her head hard causing a major traumatic brain injury. There was large patch of ice on the front walkway which was not sanded or salted. Susan was unable to return to her independent living situation. She also had signs of dementia and other problems which the insurance company argued were pre-existing and age-related rather than from the fall. The case settled for $475,000.
Defining a Traumatic Brain Injury
Minnesota state law contains a specific legal definition of traumatic brain injury:
- Subdivision 1. Scope. For purposes of sections 144.661 to 144.665, the following terms have the meanings given them.
- Subdivision 2. Traumatic brain injury. “Traumatic brain injury: means a sudden insult or damage to the brain or its coverings caused by an external physical force which may produce a diminished or altered state of consciousness and which results in the following disabilities:
- impairment of cognitive or mental abilities
- impairment of physical functioning
- disturbance of behavioral or emotional functioning.
- These disabilities may be temporary or permanent and may result in partial or total loss of function. “Traumatic brain injury” does not include injuries of a degenerative or congenital nature.
Brain Injury Resources
Dealing with the consequences of a traumatic brain injury is difficult not only for the victim, but close friends and family members may also feel the effects. The attorneys of Terry, Slane & Ruohonen, PLLC are dedicated to helping you and your family through your ordeal. Additional information is provided on the following topics:
- Brain Injury Symptoms
- Skull Fractures
- Coup and Contrecoup Brain Injuries
- Post-Concussive Syndrome
- Subdural Hematoma
- Cerebral Anoxia
- Neuropsychology and Neuropsychological Evaluation
Brain Injury Claims
Under the law, a victim of a brain injury caused by someone else making a poor decision may be able to recover financial compensation in a court of law. Our Minneapolis traumatic brain injury attorneys can help you determine if you are eligible to reclaim the costs of:
- Medical bills, past and future
- Lost wages, past and future
- Pain and suffering
Minneapolis Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
If you have suffered a traumatic brain injury in an accident you did not cause, it is important that you seek out experienced legal counsel immediately to ensure that your rights are not violated. Contact the Minneapolis brain injury lawyers of Terry, Slane & Ruohonen, PLLC today at 612-TSR-TIME. Our partners are experts in traumatic brain injury cases. In fact, Rich Ruohonen has frequently spoken on TBI and has published articles on the topic. We will represent you with integrity and authority.